Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cwazee Unkie Jimmy's 'Integrity'

Joshua's Army member Zeb G. gets a commendation for reminding me of this golden oldie by Alan Dershowitz concerning our ex-president and national embarrassment, Jimmy Carter. It's stuff I covered here while ago, but it sounds better coming from Dershowitz...a former Carter supporter:
"I have known Jimmy Carter for more than 30 years. I first met him in the spring of 1976 when, as a relatively unknown candidate for president, he sent me a handwritten letter asking for my help in his campaign on issues of crime and justice. I had just published an article in The New York Times Magazine on sentencing reform, and he expressed interest in my ideas and asked me to come up with additional ones for his campaign. Shortly thereafter, my former student Stuart Eisenstadt, brought Carter to Harvard to meet with some faculty members, me among them. I immediately liked Jimmy Carter and saw him as a man of integrity and principle. I signed on to his campaign and worked very hard for his election. When Newsweek magazine asked his campaign for the names of people on whom Carter relied for advice, my name was among those given out. I continued to work for Carter over the years, most recently I met him in Jerusalem a year ago, and we briefly discussed the Mid-East. Though I disagreed with some of his points, I continued to believe that he was making them out of a deep commitment to principle and to human rights.

Recent disclosures of Carter's extensive financial connections to Arab oil money, particularly from Saudi Arabia, had deeply shaken my belief in his integrity. When I was first told that he received a monetary reward in the name of Shiekh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahayan, and kept the money, even after Harvard returned money from the same source because of its anti-Semitic history, I simply did not believe it. How could a man of such apparent integrity enrich himself with dirty money from so dirty a source?"


A better question I think,Mr. Dershowitz,is why a lot of Jews continue to support people like this and their party..but I have a feeling you might not like my answer to that one.

Read the rest of Dershowitz's fine piece here

No comments: